Hair Transplantation Steps
There are a few instructions to follow in the days before and after your hair transplant procedure. Below is a list of instructions and things you should know when you are planning your intervention:
- Stop taking medications that contain Aspirin one three days before procedure as they increase your risk of bleeding, which can make your hair transplantation last longer.
- Refrain from smoking and any nicotine containing products such as Electronic cigarettes, at least one week before your procedure. Nicotine inhibits blood vessels and prevent oxygen rich blood from getting to the transplantation sites.
- Refrain from alcohol consumption as it increases bleeding risks during the procedure
- If you routinely dye your hair to cover gray hair refrain from doing that for at least three days before your appointment.
- If you are taking any blood thinners (such as Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin) let us know, as it may be a contraindication to your hair transplant procedure.
Day of Procedure
- The morning of your appointment shower and wash your hair thoroughly with your normal shampoo. Refrain from using any gels, or hair spray products .
- Make sure you wear loose comfortable clothes that doesn’t need to be pulled over your head after you are done. This is so that it does not dislodge the bandage or damage your newly planted grafts after your procedure.
- It is important to eat breakfast the day of your procedure. Lunch will be provided for you, let us know if you have any allergies or special needs.
- FUE is performed under local anesthesia, however you will be given light sedation to help you relax through the length of the procedure. So, expect to go straight to your rest in your hotel after you are done.
- To keep swelling to a minimum, apply an ice pack on your forehead for 15 minutes every hour. Not on the grafts and at least 3 centimetres from your hairline.
- It is expected to experience grafts falling out over the first few weeks after the procedure. In rare cases, you may also experience “shock loss” around the donor area, this hair along with the transplant hair will grow in 4 to 6 months after the procedure.
- Avoid strenuous activities of any kind for one week after the procedure. Too much activity can cause swelling or bleeding and loss of grafts.
- Bend at the knee instead of waist to pick up objects or tie shoes.
- Avoid sexual intercourse for one week after the procedure, as it may increase swelling.
- We will prescribe an antibiotic that you should take as directed by your doctor
- Pain medication will be provided to be taken as prescribed by doctor for post operative discomfort.
- Numbness may occur in graft sites. It is normal and it will usually go back to normal in four to six weeks post-operation.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or cold for 2 weeks.
- Abstain from alcohol for one week after the procedure.
- Our professional will give you exact instructions as to how to take care of the graft sites for the two weeks after the procedure.
- Tight headgear such as hats, scarves, and other coverings are strongly contraindicated in the first two weeks after your transplant procedure.
One of the most important elements of facial hair transplantation is to ensure the natural appearance of the newly planted graft. Doing so requires the skills of an experienced surgeon in the placement of the grafts in the proper angle and right direction. Any center can transplanted hair follicles but not every center can do so while maintaining the natural look of the patient’s face.
For optimal results, we in Smart Beart, use the Lateral Slit Technique which is the most advanced in order to reproduce the natural growth direction of the hair. This technique also has gives the illusion of greater hair density than the vertically placed follicles.
Selant has the very unique advantage of having all operations conducted by a highly experienced hair transplant doctor. This makes a tremendous difference in terms of the number of grafts that can be transplanted in one session, or what is sometimes called “mega-session”. Those type of prolonged sessions are especially beneficial for patients with an advanced status of hair loss pattern. They give them the most appearance-changing results in the fewest procedures possible.
Mega-session is a perfectly safe procedure when it’s conducted by an experienced esthetic doctor. Other practitioners in the field, like nurses, should never perform such surgery because it requires high levels of medical training and education.